I will admit that I really enjoy a great omelette. But they can be very time consuming to create. I also love to find meals that are quick and easy to make, and so when I needed a simple meal this week, I thought about making an omelette, but instead chose to create a great frittata (Italian omelette) recipe instead. Frittatas are much more simple to make and less labor intensive as well. And you can cook them all in one pan! Bonus!
I really love the flavors of Italian food and so using the Italian sausage and oregano and basil gave this frittata a really nice flavor!
This recipe is good for 1-2 people, and I made it in my 8 inch cast-iron skillet. I fix it for a tasty dinner and enjoy the leftovers the next day for lunch! I now absolutely love making frittatas! They are going to be one of my new go to meals when I need something quick and easy to fix for dinner!
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp onion (chopped)
- 1/4 mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tbsp butter, ghee or avocado oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- few sprinkles of black pepper
- 1/4 lb Italian sausage (sliced with casings removed)
- 1 sm Roma tomato (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In an 8 inch oven safe skillet, melt butter or ghee on medium high.
- add garlic, onions, mushrooms and Italian sausage andcook until the onions are translucent
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs
- Add the seasonings and mix well
- Turn down stovetop heat to medium.
- Add egg mixture to skillet.
- Gently stir, incorporating the vegetables into the eggs.
- After a few minutes and once the eggs begin to cook around the edges, top the egg mixture with the sliced tomato and put the skillet into the oven.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and allow the frittata to set for at least 10 minutes.