Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
Yes, I am the queen of the casserole! It’s because I grew up on them, and so to me, they really are comfort food! When I found this classic favorite in my recipe box, I knew I had to give it a real food makeover! I used to make it all the time because it was so good! I think you will enjoy it as much as I do!
When it comes to finding meals that are easy to fix and that work well for families who are active, casseroles really fit the bill nicely. This cheesy ground beef casserole recipe is a cleaned-up version of a recipe that I’ve had in my recipe box for a long time. I really like a lot and so I wanted to give it an update. I don’t even remember where it came from, but it is definitely a winner in my house. I’ve adapted it so that it is as whole food as possible and I think it’s even yummier now than the original version is.
Use our simple recipe for cream of mushroom soup with this casserole. Doing that will give you a casserole that is msg and preservative-free! This cream of mushroom soup can easily be made in large batches and frozen for easy use. Just pull one out of the freezer and thaw!
Good and gluten-free!
This recipe is gluten-free when using a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup. If you make your own cream of mushroom soup and make it grain-free like I do, then this casserole can be grain-free as well!! Woo hoo!!
This casserole just reminds me so much of being a kid that I usually have some homemade applesauce with it. That also reminds me of being a kid….and since I’m really a big kid at heart, why not!
This recipe can also be done in the slow cooker making it even easier!
Cheesy Ground Beef Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef pasture raised
- 1 cup onion finely chopped and divided
- 1½ cups cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups cooked yukon gold potatoes finely diced or shredded
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup green pepper chopped
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill medium pan with water and cook the potatoes on medium high, until soft.
- Brown ground beef with ½ cup of chopped onion.
- Dice or shred the potatoes and mix with remaining ½ cup onion and chopped green pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Spread potato mixture into a 9x13 baking dish so that it forms an even layer.
- Once beef has browned, drain any liquid,
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and ground pepper to beef mixture and mix well.
- Spread beef mixture over the layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.