Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
I’m always looking for dishes that are really simple to make, but healthy and yummy. I had never tried Shepherd’s Pie before, but it looked really yummy, so I looked at several different recipes, and created mine from there. This is a great cold-weather dish, that is full of great veggies.
Shepherd’s Pie is a classic British casserole that combines ground beef or lamb, mixed vegetables, and mashed potatoes. It does have a little bit longer prep time than what I normally prefer, but it is definitely worth a little extra work. One thing that you can do to speed up the prep time is to make extra mashed potatoes with another meal and freeze the amount you need for this recipe. Just take them out to thaw the night before! Another thing that you can do to simplify this recipe a bit is to use organic frozen mixed veggies (the kind that has carrots, peas, corn, and green beans) and leave out the carrots and peas. I’ve done that before and it saves a little chopping time and tastes every bit as good!
This recipe has been made gluten-free and grain-free.
Shepherd's Pie (Recipes for Two)
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 4 carrots sliced
- 3/4 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 pound pasture raised ground beef
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or brown rice flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste no salt added
- 1/2 cup beef broth homemade preferred
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with 4-5 cups of water and boil. Add the potatoes and cook on medium high until tender.
- Fill a small pot with 2 cups of water. Add the carrots and cook on medium high until tender.
- In a large skillet, add the extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic and chopped onion. Saute until tender and slightly transparent.
- Add the ground beef to the onion and garlic and brown fully.
- Add the sprouted flour and mix well.
- Add the tomato paste, beef broth, sea salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the frozen peas to the boiling carrot water and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. Add the butter and milk and mash fully.
- Add the beef mixture to a 8x8 baking pan. Spread out to form and even layer.
- Drain the carrots and peas and mash.
- Spread the carrot and pea mixture to form a layer on top of the beef mixture.
- Top the carrot and pea mixture with a layer of mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.