Where I grew up in Michigan, it was always a treat to go to one of the local Mexican restaurants and order a wet burrito. What is a wet burrito? It is a burrito, filled with ground beef, refried beans, lettuce, tomato and onions. It is then smothered with enchilada sauce and cheese, which is melted! Can I just say….YUM!! By the way, that is an actual wet burrito from our hometown favorite restaurant, The Beltline Bar in Grand Rapids MI to the left!
When I moved to SC more than twenty years ago, I discovered that wet burritos were more of a local and regional favorite up in Michigan and couldn’t be found down here, and I missed them! In fact, it is a tradition in our family that when someone else from the family goes up to Grand Rapids that they MUST visit our favorite Mexican restaurant while they are there. And they have to take pictures and text them to the rest of the family to taunt us!
Getting the Recipe
Many years after moving to South Carolina, my parents were given a recipe for the wet burritos from another transplanted Michigander. The original recipe calls for lots of canned and packaged items and wasn’t exactly clean OR gluten free. I’ve updated it so that it is now clean and can be done gluten free as well!
This recipe does have some flexibility with it. You can add veggies that you like. Or you can make it hot and spicy or keep it mild. It is really all about making it to your liking!
The whole family got to come to the Beltline Bar in the summer of 2013 when we took a huge family vacation to Michigan together. So here is a photo of a lot of the family enjoying some great Mexican food! That was the first time my family had been there together in more than two decades! Tons of fun and lots of laughs were had….not to mention some fantastic food!
Use this with my enchilada sauce recipe, or use a good organic enchilada sauce!
- 1 lb ground beef, pasture raised
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp unrefined sea salt
- gluten free or corn tortillas
- cheddar cheese, shredded yourself
- lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, onions all chopped
- Enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of salsa
- In a skillet, add the ground beef and onions and brown beef fully.
- Fix the enchilada sauce recipe and when heated through, add the salsa. Heat fully
- On a plate, lay two 6 inch tortillas so that they are overlapping slightly.
- Line the center of the overlapping tortillas with beef.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, onions.
- Fold tortilla over top.
- Spoon the enchilada sauce mixture over top to that the tortilla is covered.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top.
- If you want to melt the cheese you can place the burrito (on an oven safe plate, of course) in a preheated oven for a few minutes. The plate will be hot when removed from oven!