Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
I absolutely love fixing recipes that are not only easy and quick to prepare but are delicious and satisfying as well. And I am particularly fond of casseroles….particularly during the cooler months of the year! This chicken rice and asparagus casserole is simple and delicious too! I don’t really use asparagus much. But I was intrigued by the idea of pairing these ingredients.
It is based on an old recipe that I had in my recipe box. I think it probably came from an old magazine and was passed down to me from my mother. The original called for canned condensed soup. But now, I’ve changed it to include homemade cream of mushroom soup which is much more whole food-oriented. Of course, not everyone is going to want to make homemade cream of mushroom…and that’s okay! Feel free to use a good organic cream of mushroom instead. There are some really great ones on the market. Just look for a brand that is clean and doesn’t have a lot of extra additives! Completely yummy!
Make this chicken rice and asparagus casserole recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free cream of mushroom soup! If you use homemade, grain-free cream of mushroom soup, you can technically make this dish grain-free as well!
Need a good side dish? Try this fall harvest salad!
Chicken Rice and Asparagus Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups homemade cream of mushroom soup or 1 can organic
- 1 1/4 cups soaked and cooked wild rice
- 24 asparagus spears
- 4 4 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine soup mix and 1 can of water.
- Spread prepared rice in a casserole dish.
- Arrange the asparagus spears on top of the rice.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the asparagus.
- Pour soup mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle on shredded cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.