I absolutely love fixing recipes that are not only easy and quick to prepare, but are delicious and satisfying as well. And I am particularly fond of casseroles….particularly during the cooler months of the year! This chicken rice and asparagus casserole is simple and delicious too!
It is based on an old recipe that I had in my recipe box. I think it probably came from an old magazine and was passed down to me from my mother. The original called for canned condensed soup. But now, I’ve changed it to include homemade cream of mushroom soup which is much more whole food oriented. Feel free to use a good organic cream of mushroom instead. Completely yummy!
Make this chicken rice and asparagus casserole recipe gluten free by using gluten free cream of mushroom soup! If you use homemade, grain free cream of mushroom soup, you can technically make this dish grain free as well!
- 1 1/2 cups homemade cream of mushroom soup or 1 can organic
- 1 1/4 cups soaked and cooked wild rice
- 24 asparagus spears
- 4 (4 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine soup mix and 1 can of water.
- Spread prepared rice in a casserole dish.
- Arrange the asparagus spears on top of the rice.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the asparagus.
- Pour soup mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle on shredded cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.