There are just some recipes that remind you of your childhood. For me this ground beef goulash is one of them. My Mom made this often when I was growing up. And although I really love it now, when I was a child I absolutely HATED green peppers and so this meal wasn’t my favorite.
But my tastes started changing once I became a teen. Suddenly started to like green peppers (isn’t it funny how that happens?) Suddenly, this meal became comfort food to me. Even now, when I make it, it reminds me of my Mom and eating this as a family while I was growing up.
This dish is fantastic any time of year. But is especially nice during the hot summer months when you want a nice hot meal, but don’t want to heat up your kitchen! It is fully done on the stove top, so no oven is necessary, and it’s quick to make as well. This was a dish that my Mom made when time was tight and she needed something easy.
This recipe can be made gluten free by using brown rice or any other gluten free pasta. I love to serve this with some homemade applesauce. Of course that was what was served with the goulash when I was a little girl. But it also works well paired with a fresh salad and some gluten free bread.
I also love to top mine with some parmesan cheese. The cheese just adds that extra yum!
I don’t use a lot of canned good products because so many companies line their cans with BPA, but I do used canned tomatoes. If you wish to avoid BPA, then find tomatoes in glass jars or look for a BPA free brand like Eden Foods.
Here is the version for two!
Here’s the full recipe!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup brown rice or whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 can of organic or no-salt added diced tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ large green bell pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2- 8 oz cans organic or no-salt added tomato sauce (no sugar added) or 1 15 oz can
- Brown ground beef with the chopped onion and green pepper.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to package directions.
- Place browned ground beef mixture, and elbow macaroni in a large cooking pot.
- Add other ingredients and mix well
- Allow goulash to heat through well and serve.