Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
Are you a fan of Chinese food? If so, you may want to try this simple chicken vegetable stir fry recipe!
Cooking for two isn’t always the easiest to do. There are some nights I completely lack creative inspiration. Of course, there are other nights when I have big cravings. Sometimes that craving is for something Asian-inspired. But honestly, I don’t want to go and get Chinese food takeout. Even though that food may taste good, it leaves me feeling sleepy with an unhappy tummy. So I decided to make some homemade Asian-inspired dishes and I happened to have chicken and broccoli on hand, so I whipped together this chicken vegetable stir fry.
Eat your veggies!
This dish is one I love because it is so full of great veggies. I picked up some broccoli at the farmer’s market. okay, I will admit that I don’t eat broccoli that often, because I just don’t know what to use it for. I was in the mood for some Chinese food. But I don’t eat Chinese food out often because the msg that is used to enhance flavor isn’t very kind to my tummy. So typically I will make it at home instead. I make fried rice quite a bit. But I wanted to make something different this time.
So thus a simple stirfry with lots of vegetables was the answer! I gave the option of using coconut aminos for those who avoid soy, or soy sauce. I’ve done both. I find that the coconut aminos give the dish a slightly sweet and salty taste, while the soy sauce is definitely the saltier option. I honestly do a mixture of the two, and love it! If you enjoy other vegetables, you could certainly include them. I always serve this dish over rice. It could be served over Chinese noodles as well.
Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1 chicken breast boneless and skinless
- 3/4 cup broccoli cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1/2 carrot peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup zucchini diced
- 1/4 cup yellow squash diced
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- Cut up the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces.
- In a wok or non-stick skillet, add the oil, chicken, and ginger.
- Cook over medium-high heat, until chicken is fully cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Put the cooked chicken into a separate dish and set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the pan.
- Cook until tender, stirring frequently, about 6-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut aminos (or soy sauce), sesame oil, and cornstarch (or arrowroot).
- Once the vegetables are fully cooked, add the chicken back to the pan. Pour the stir-fry sauce over the chicken and vegetables and mix well.
- Allow mixture to simmer for an additional few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!