Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
Spring is here! As the winter snow begins to melt, the temperatures begin to rise and the plants begin to bloom, it is the perfect time to do some natural spring cleaning. It is a great time of the year to do some deep cleaning, so when you plan your spring cleaning, it is a great time to toss out those toxic, chemical filled cleaners. Many store bought cleaners can cause serious health issues, such as cancer and reproductive problems. So this year, do yourself and your family a favor and change to natural, homemade, healthier cleaners. Making cleaners yourself is not only better for your health and the environment of your house, but are much less expensive than store bought cleaners. And who doesn’t like to save a little money, right? Well these cleaners are just pennies per use! Much more economical and much safer for your health!
When you go to the grocery store, you will need to stock up on the following:
- Baking soda
- White vinegar
- Essential oils-optional, but nice to have. Essential oils also have anti bacterial properties and smell great. Choose scents like lemon, pine, lavender or rosemary.
- Castille soap
Here are some easy recipes for household cleaners:
Homemade Soft Scrub
This is a simple recipe for homemade soft scrub
- 1 cup baking soda
- 2-3 drops castille soap
- Combine baking soda with enough water to make a paste.
- Add castille soap.
- Apply to enamel or porcelain surfaces.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Scrub with a sponge that is non-abrasive.
- Wipe off.
Homemade Multi Purpose Spray Cleaner
- 4 cups hot water
- ¼ cup castille soap
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp borax
- mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add 4 cups of tap water.
- Using a funnel, pour mixture into a spray bottle.
- Store any extra in a jug for future use.
Natural Cleaners for Floors and Walls
- 1 gallon hot water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp Castille soap
- 25-50 drops lemon or pine essential oil
- Mix together in bucket.
- Use either a rag or a mop.
- If using on floors, follow with a clean water mop.
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 quart water
- 2-3 drops Castille soap
- Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle.
- Use on mirrors or glass and wipe off with newspaper (it doesn’t leave lint and the ink won’t come off)!