One thing that I love about homemade baked beans is that they are a dish that is used year round! They are great during the winter with some nice baked ham and perfect during the summer when it is cookout time! So versatile, and so yummy too!
This side dish is an American classic and is great comfort food for man. Unfortunately many store and restaurant versions contain caramel coloring (a known cancer causer), MSG and GMO ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup and corn starch. But making baked beans from scratch is not difficult at all….in fact, it can be pretty fast to throw a batch together for your next potluck or picnic.
Want to make these even healthier….and less gassy? Be sure to soak your dry beans for 8-12 hours before cooking. Unfortunately, you will not enjoy these benefits if you used canned beans….just saying!
You can also make this a vegetarian dish by simply leaving out the bacon. This dish is also naturally gluten free and grain free!
- 2 cans great northern beans or 3 cups soaked and cooked.
- 4-5 slices of uncured bacon (optional)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tbsp [url href="https://www.simplecleanliving.com/homemade-ketchup/" title="Homemade Ketchup"]ketchup[/url]
- 3 tbsp unsulphured molasses
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Place on plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
- Mix all other ingredients in a 3-4 quart baking dish.
- Crumble up bacon and stir it in.
- Cover dish with lid or with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.