I absolutely love homemade salsa! When it’s fresh, it just can’t be beat. And this version of salsa, also known in some circles as Cowboy Caviar is absolutely divine! I was given this recipe years ago and used to make it all of the time and forgot about it. That was until a trip to a local Trader Joes, where I spotted their brand or jarred Cowboy Caviar. It sent me on a search for my recipe which lead me to make a batch, because let’s face it….there is nothing quite like fresh, and that’s no exception with this salsa.
This dish is a real multi tasker! It can be used as a dip for tortilla chips or veggies. But I adore eating it as a summer side salad with some grilled chicken or a nice southwestern seasoned steak! It can also be used as a topper for tacos or fajitas. And to make this during the summer and early fall when there are lots of fresh tomatoes out in the garden…..wow!!
One little trick with this dip is to let is sit in the fridge for a few hours (overnight is even better) before serving. This allows all of the flavors to meld and mature and it makes is so much tastier!
To make this grain free, simply leave out the sweet corn. It is naturally gluten free.
- 1 1/2 cups organic frozen sweet corn, un-thawed
- 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup EV olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2- 3/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Add corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, onion and avocado to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl and pour over top of the vegetables.
- Mix well.
- Cover and allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (overnight is even better).