Mmmm…..salsa chicken. Super tasty and one of the easiest meals to prepare….seriously! Just a few minutes to throw in a few ingredients and turn on the slow cooker! I love easy, healthy meals!
I really love making the oven baked version of this during the cooler months of the year. It is truly one of the easiest recipes to prepare and yet it tastes so good! But now, during the heat of summer, as I’ve been looking for simple dishes to prepare without turning on the oven, I always turn to my slow cooker. I wanted to see if this dish would make the transition from oven to slow cooker easily….and indeed it did!
Just like the oven version, this version only takes a couple of minutes to prepare. I like to add extra garlic and onion which gets very tender in the slow cooker. The brilliant thing is that you can make this as spicy or as mild as you want.
During the summer months I love to pair this with a fresh salad loaded with lots of garden fresh vegetables.
This recipe is naturally gluten free and is grain free as long as you use a corn free salsa and taco seasoning mix. I have also added the recipe for one, so just scroll down for that!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Taco seasoning mix
- 1 jar salsa, organic or homemade
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place chicken in slow cooker
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of each piece of chicken
- Pour salsa on top of chicken
- Sprinkle cheese on top of all of the chicken
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours and high for 4-5.