Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
This chicken broccoli rice and cheese casserole is a recipe that I tried to make last week…but it was a total fail! Of course, I attempted to make this is my slow cooker…and I know that it would absolutely work! Except that I turned my manual slow cooker on high, instead of low like I was supposed to. The result was that it turned out a little like rice, chicken, broccoli, and cheese mush!
Yes, even food bloggers have recipe fails (probably more than y’all even realize). Of course, it still tasted fine, but it looked like something that I wouldn’t even feed my dogs! So I couldn’t in good conscience photograph it and put it on the site!
This recipe is classic comfort food at it’s best. It is actually based on a recipe that I got from my Mom probably 20 years ago. She has no idea where she got it, but she probably found it in a magazine or was given it by a friend. I have had to do a serious makeover of this recipe! The original calls for Cheese Whiz….which will not be crossing my threshold any time soon! So I’ve done some real food magic to transform it! I used homemade cream of mushroom soup in this recipe.
When making any dish with rice, there is only one brand that I both use and recommend. The Lundberg company is located in California and is my brand of choice. Why? There is a lot of concern about heavy metal contamination in rice imported from overseas. Lundberg rice has been tested and is virtually free from heavy metal contamination. Having gone through heavy metal toxicity, which was made worse by eating imported rice, this is the only brand I’ll eat!
Chicken Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole
- 2 cups rice pre-soaked and cooked
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pkg frozen broccoli or 1 small bunch broccoli chopped
- 12 oz. 1 1/2 cups cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium skillet add the butter, garlic, onion and mushroom.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms until the onion is translucent.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish add the cooked rice.
- Top rice with sauteed onions and mushroom.
- Top onions and mushrooms with chicken.
- Top the chicken with cream of mushroom soup.
- Top the soup with the broccoli.
- Sprinkle the cheese over top.
- Cover casserole dish with lid or with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.