I have been trying to perfect homemade mayonnaise for awhile. So many recipes call for you to drip the oil into the blender while it is running and even then, so many people complain that it doesn’t turn out. So I just decided to go ahead and try the recipe from the book Nourishing Traditions….with a few changes. And was pleasantly surprised at how easy this recipe was…no dripping oil involved!
I did not add whey to this. Primarily because I didn’t have any ready to go and I needed this for a couple of recipes, so I left it out!
I also didn’t use either extra virgin olive oil or expeller pressed sunflower oil. I have tried homemade mayo with olive oil and frankly, it’s too strong for me. So instead of either of these, I used cold pressed avocado oil. It has a lighter taste and to me it is really close in taste to my favorite store brand!!
One thing that is really important for this recipe is to make sure that all of the ingredients are at room temperature….it will allow them to blend much better than if they are cold!
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard, organic
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup cold pressed avocado oil
- liberal pinch of unrefined sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a quart mason jar.
- Use immersion blender and blend until thoroughly combined and to a nice thick consistency.
- This mayonnaise will keep in the refrigerator for approximately 5 days.