Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
This Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie (also known as Cottage Pie) is so tasty. I have to say that is one recipe that has been on my favorite comfort foods list for a long time. It is a hearty and satisfying meal and I absolutely love it. I actually already have a recipe for the traditional casserole version. But I wanted to see how well it turned out when fixing it in the slow cooker.
I did change up the recipe a little bit and left out the tomatoes or tomato paste that is found in most recipes. Because I wanted something a little less acidic tonight. And I also used organic prepackaged frozen peas and carrots to make it a little less time-consuming! Definitely helpful.
You can also use mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes if you wish. This recipe is naturally gluten-free and grain-free as well. If you don’t want to make slow cooker shepherd’s pie you can make the conventional version. I have that recipe too! And I made it smaller since there is only one of me. We single girls like to enjoy good food too!
This slow cooker shepherd’s pie recipe is a bit labor-intensive. But that’s okay once in a while! This recipe is naturally grain-free and gluten-free.
Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 pound ground beef grass fed
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ cup water or bone broth
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 cup organic frozen peas and carrots
- 3-4 potatoes peeled, cooked and mashed
- whole milk heavy cream or broth (for the mashed potatoes)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded (for on top of the mashed potatoes)
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion and garlic.
- Once browned, add the water and arrowroot powder.
- Add the seasonings and mix well.
- Add the peas and carrots.
- Scoop beef mixture into your slow cooker crock.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Make your mashed potatoes.
- minutes before the end of cooking time, layer the mashed potatoes on top of the beef mixture, spreading evenly.
- Top the potato layer, sprinkle on shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes.