Do you know which herbs and vegetables are toxic to your dog? If not, read this before planting your garden!
So you are getting into gardening because you want to grow more of your own foods and medicinal herbs. But before you plant, you need to consider the health and safety of your canine family members. Unfortunately, there are many plants that people love to plant in their gardens that are toxic to Fido. If you are a dog lover, it is important to know which plants can harm your faithful companion. This does not mean that you should not plant them….but that they need to be planted out of reach of curious canines.
These are toxic to your dog:
1. Aloe- there are saponins in aloe plants that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors.
2. Chamomile-these lovely little flowers are often used by humans to make tea, but can cause vomiting, diarrhea, allergic reactions, contact dermatitis and anorexia.
3. Eucalyptus- the oils of this plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression and excessive salivating.
4. Garlic-there are a lot of people online who talk about using garlic for dogs as a way to keep fleas away. But daily usage of garlic is toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, a breakdown of red blood cells, blood in the urine, heavy panting, and high heart rate.
5. Leeks-This herb is a part of the garlic family and causes the same symptoms in dogs.
6. Onion- this very common vegetable/herb causes the same symptoms as garlic. This includes chives which are part of the onion family.
7. Spring parsley-another common herb to grow, this plant can cause photosensitization and ocular (eye) toxicity
8. Tomato plants-the fruit (tomatoes) are not toxic to dogs….just the plants. If your dog eats the plant leaves or stem it may experience severe gastrointestinal upset, drowsiness, depression, weakness, slow heart rate, dilated pupils and behavioral change.
If you believe that your dog has ingested one of these toxic herbs, then call your vet immediately!
If you are wanting more information on toxic plants that may be in your yard or garden then visit the ASPCA’s poison control center.