Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
Have you seen our Cheesy Ground Beef Casserole? I was such a fan of that recipe that I converted it and it’s now a slow cooker cheesy ground beef casserole recipe! Woo hoo!! Now it is one of the most popular recipes on my site because people love it so much!
I absolutely love this casserole. I’ve fixed the traditional oven-based version for years and made it at least once or twice a month. But when the weather began to get warmer and I started wanting to use my oven less and less, I began to wonder if this recipe would work in the slow cooker. So I figured….let’s try it and see what happens! I also made this as a freezer meal and it really worked well. So now this has been added to my summer slow cooker recipe rotation which is perfect because it is a great comfort food recipe! And I’ll share one little secret…..I always add more cheese than the recipe calls for! What can I say, I just can’t help myself!
Homemade or canned?
I typically use homemade cream of mushroom soup in this slow cooker cheesy ground beef casserole recipe, because I don’t have to worry about it having ingredients that make my tummy unhappy. So I am able to make it grain-free. If you opt to use a store-bought cream of mushroom soup, you may want to consider an organic brand so that you can avoid as many questionable ingredients as possible!
Having the cheese in the slow cooker the whole time can allow some of the oil in the cheese to separate out and collect on top of the casserole. If that bothers you, then you can add the cheese during the last 20-30 minutes of cooking, which should give it plenty of time to melt fully, but not to get oily! The traditional oven-based recipe doesn’t have this problem because it has a much shorter cooking time!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Ground Beef Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef pasture raised, browned
- 1 cup onion finely chopped and divided
- 1 1/2 cups cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups yukon gold potatoes finely diced
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Add the potatoes, onions and green pepper to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, mix the browned ground beef, cream of mushroom soup and black pepper.
- Pour the ground beef mixture over the potatoes, onions and green pepper.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- minutes before end of cooking time, sprinkle shredded cheese over top to melt.