Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
When I began to clean the processed foods out of my diet, one of the things that I was a little distraught over was having to give up the wonderful casseroles that are in my roundup of favorite dishes. I thought I’d have to say goodbye simply because they called for condensed cream of mushroom, chicken, or celery soups.
And for a while, I substituted a good organic brand that contained all whole food ingredients. But I was never completely comfortable using the packaged soup, even though it was organic! To be honest, I kind of felt like I was cheating on my traditional, nourishing way of eating by sneaking in a soup that was prepackaged. So I decided to see how difficult it would be to make my own soup.
Once I found out how easy it really is, I wanted to slap myself upside the head. I can’t believe I didn’t look into it earlier. My secret now to having great cream of mushroom soup on hand is to make large batches and freeze some so that I can make those great casseroles that I love! And it really doesn’t take very long at all to make, so making a large batch doesn’t have to take up too much of your time.
The best part of this recipe is that it is so much less expensive. Even the cheapest cream of mushroom soup is more expensive, not to mention the organic brands! Your wallet will thank you and you’ll avoid MSG and the other icky additives in the canned soups! I’m using this recipe tonight in my slow cooker with some chicken and veggies. Easy!
Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms finely diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth or bone broth
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- in a skillet add the extra virgin olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Whisk in arrowroot powder.
- Add broth and almond milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow the mix to simmer. Stir regularly.
- The mixture will thicken as it cooks, so cook until the consistency that you want (10-20 mins).
- This recipe makes the equivalent of 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. One can equals approximately 1.5 cups. The recipe makes 3 cups total.