Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
I am always on the hunt for interesting side dishes. Especially side dishes that I can pair with recipes like my salsa chicken. But that recipe can be a little more challenging to pair with a nice side dish. So I experimented with a few different side dishes. Most didn’t work well. But I did create this little Mexican Corn and Bean Casserole that did! It has easy preparation. And it can cook right alongside the salsa chicken. It helps to complete the meal and makes for a really tasty dinner.
I have also tried this as a topper for tacos and it was super yummy! It was better than salsa, in my opinion. And it added something completely different that I really loved. I would bet that it is probably a good dip for tortilla chips as well! If possible, use organic corn in this recipe.
It is naturally gluten-free for those who need to avoid eating gluten. I did opt to use red bell pepper because the green peppers do a number on my tummy. But you can choose the kind of bell pepper that works for you.
Mexican Corn and Bean Casserole (Recipes for Two)
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or whole milk
- 1/4 tsp taco seasoning
- dash salt
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 4 cup baking dish, add butter, cream cheese and milk.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute intervals until the butter and cream cheese have melted.
- Add all other ingredients, except cheddar cheese to the butter mixture and stir.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Top with cheddar cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.