When the weather is chilly, there is nothing quite like a batch of beef stew to help make you feel all warm and toasty!
Fall and winter are the perfect time to whip up a batch of homemade beef stew. And if you like things that are easy and fuss free, this slow cooker recipe is the perfect quick prep meal to make! It is hearty, tasty and will warm you to your toes too! Classic comfort food at it’s finest. I actually really like to use a little less broth because I like my stew thick and really hearty! It sticks to the ribs, and I like it that way!
This recipe is both gluten and grain free, although the potatoes prevent it from being paleo friendly. If you eat Paleo, you can substitute cauliflower for the potatoes.
- 1 lb cubed stew beef (pasture raised preferred)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 12 oz. bone broth (or broth of choice)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp water
- Add all ingredients except arrowroot powder and water to the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 4 hours and low for 6-8 hours.
- To thicken stew add arrowroot and water to small bowl and mix.
- Add arrowroot mixture to slow cooker 10 minutes before serving and mix.
- Allow the stew to thicken and serve.