I grew up eating store bought french onion dip….and love it! Of course, my family didn’t eat it every day, but we had it for cookouts and special times when we entertained. Even now, when my family gets together, there is usually a container or two of the store bought variety.
But because I have to be careful about what I eat, I wanted to try to recreate my favorite dip from scratch. And I found that it wasn’t too difficult.
The batch I made is a reduced the size compared to other recipes, since it’s just me cooking for me these days. But it would be very easy to double, triple and even quadruple this recipe if you are going to entertain. I already promised my family that I would make this for our next family cookout. And I know that they will really like it too.
It is not a difficult recipe to make, but does take a little time because of the need to caramelize the onions, but it’s so worth it in the end.
This dip is for more than just chips! I love dipping fresh veggies in it too. This dip+carrots=YUM! It is also fantastic on top of a baked potato (it has that whole sour cream and chive vibe going on), but it is really delicious! Another thing that you could use this for is to top tacos, enchiladas or burritos. An easy way to spice up your Mexican favorites. I imagine that the onion flavor would add a unique zing!
I have made this a few times to bring to different parties and it was always a smash hit! And I really love that I can eat it and not worry about getting sick as a result.
I truly hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! For those who have special dietary concerns, this recipe is gluten free and grain free…and so full of yum!
- 8 oz container sour cream (full fat)
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (organic or homemade)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a small saute pan add the olive oil, chopped onion and minced garlic.
- Saute over medium heat until the onions have caramelized.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, sea salt and caramelized onions.
- Mix well.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to meld (although it's pretty fantastic when freshly made too!)
- Store leftovers (if there are any) in a covered container in the refrigerator.