I’m a simple girl….really, I am. And because of that there are some nights that I just want a simple dinner. This Mexican casserole is definitely that. So many casseroles require 30 minutes or more in the oven, but this casserole is primarily done on the stove top. It only spends a little time in the oven to in order to melt the cheese. You could also bake this in a toaster oven if you don’t want to heat up your kitchen too much.
Although this recipe is not grain free, you can make it grain free by omitting the tortilla chips and corn. It is a gluten free meal, just be sure to purchase tortilla chips that are organic and are gluten free certified.
- 1 pound ground beef, grass fed
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 2 tbsp water.
- 1 can organic refried beans or 1 1/2 cups homemade
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and onions.
- Add taco seasoning mix and water.
- In a separate saucepan, mix the refried beans and salsa until heated through
- Crush up the tortilla chips and spread them out in the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish.
- Top the tortilla chips with the refried bean and salsa mixture.
- Top that layer with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Top the cheese with the ground beef and onion mixture.
- Top beef mixture with corn
- Top the corn with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Top with black olives.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until the casserole is heated through and cheese is melted.
- Top with diced tomatoes and serve.