Since the temperatures have been getting cooler I love making homemade soups and stews. I had seen a recipe floating around the internet for homemade cheeseburger soup and I liked the idea of it. So I grabbed some ingredients that I felt would work well for this soup and went to work. It turned out really well, tasted fantastic and I really enjoyed it! I will definitely be keeping this one in our meal rotation!
It is not difficult to make and is perfect paired with a nice salad or some fresh gluten or grain free quick bread. It is great during the cooler months of the year because it is a hearty soup.
You can make this recipe gluten and grain free by using arrowroot powder in place of cornstarch or other grain based flours.
Here is the version for two!
Here’s the full recipe!
- 1 lb ground beef, grass fed preferred
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 4 cups chicken broth (homemade preferred)
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (can use organic cornstarch or flour of your choice)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream, yogurt or heavy cream
- In skillet brown ground beef and set aside.
- In a stock pot add the broth, potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Boil the vegetables in the broth until all are tender.
- Add the ground beef, cheese and arrowroot powder and stir until soup has thickened.
- Stir in sour cream, yogurt or heavy cream and serve.