Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
Since the temperatures have been getting cooler I love making homemade soups and stews. But honestly, I didn’t have a whole lot of soup recipes in my recipe box. So I went online to get some inspiration. I had seen a recipe floating around the internet for homemade cheeseburger soup and I liked the idea of it. I often get ideas online and create my own version of them. So I grabbed some ingredients that I felt would work well for this soup and went to work. It turned out really well, tasted fantastic and I really enjoyed it! I will definitely be keeping this one in my meal rotation!
This recipe was done completely on the stovetop. So it was relatively simple. But it did take a little more time than I usually like.
It is not difficult to make and is perfectly paired with a nice salad or some fresh homemade quick bread. It is great during the cooler months of the year because it is a hearty soup.
You can make this cheeseburger soup recipe gluten and grain-free by using arrowroot powder in place of cornstarch or other grain-based flour. Go ahead and thicken it the way that works best for you!
Homemade Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb ground beef grass fed preferred
- 3 cups potatoes diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3/4 cup carrots grated
- 1/2 cup celery finely diced
- 4 cups chicken broth homemade preferred
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder can use organic cornstarch or flour of your choice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream yogurt or heavy cream
- In skillet brown ground beef and set aside.
- In a stock pot add the broth, potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Boil the vegetables in the broth until all are tender.
- Add the ground beef, cheese and arrowroot powder and stir until soup has thickened.
- Stir in sour cream, yogurt or heavy cream and serve.