Summer and early fall are the best times for recipes like this homemade salsa. There is such amazing flavor in this salsa when you use fresh tomatoes…right from your own garden, and at this time of year they are plentiful!
Often times when my family gets together, we have tortilla chips and salsa. Because of some food allergies that different family members experience, making fresh homemade salsa allows me to know exactly what is going in the salsa and avoid any allergens. That has been a breath of fresh air for a couple of family members who haven’t been able to eat store bought salsa for years!
Of course, most people think of salsa being served with tortilla chips, but you can also dip fresh vegetables. Pour some of this over grilled chicken for a great, simple dinner idea. Top a baked potato with some ground beef and salsa for a unique meal. Use it as a condiment for your tacos….yum!
Do you like some heat with your salsa? Well, you certainly have the option of kicking the heat up a notch! You can add some jalapeno peppers or the hot sauce of your choice to create a hot salsa. Even though I don’t mind hot and spicy, I actually like my salsa mild. For me, the heat can overpower the melding of the flavors and I enjoy being able to experience that, so mild works better for me! But feel free to turn up the heat if that is what you like!
This recipe is simple to make and far better than any jarred, store bought salsa. Serve it with our Homemade Tortilla recipe, use to top a baked potato or on tacos. It is pretty quick to prepare, and if you serve it for guests, it will go quickly!
This recipe is both gluten and grain free….yay!
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ ground cumin
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 2 clove garlic, finely minced
- Juice from 1/2 of a fresh lime
- 3-4 sprigs of cilantro
- Put all ingredients into food processor.
- Pulse until desired consistency.
- Let stand on the counter for at least 1 hour before serving or storing.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.