Aldi had their blueberries on special this week. Only $.89 for a pint, so I bought a few. As I was sitting here tonight thinking about what to fix for dinner I kept thinking about creating a baked oatmeal recipe. So I decided to be unconventional with my dinner plans and went ahead and headed to the kitchen.
A couple of weeks ago I created a recipe for these oatmeal cups with banana and walnut and they are SO good! So I wanted to try using some other fruit combinations. Blueberries are the perfect choice!
This recipe was actually super simple to whip together! It really only took me about 5-10 minutes to throw together the ingredients and pop this in the oven. And it made my house smell pretty good too.
I did use just a small amount of sweetener in this recipe. If you prefer your oatmeal sweeter, then feel free to double the maple syrup. I’ve just been cutting back on the sweeteners in general, even the natural ones. So now I find that if I add too much it’s actually too sweet for me (and as a recovering sugar junkie, I never thought I’d say that!)
I also chose to use unsweetened almond milk in my recipe, but cow’s milk and coconut milk would both also work well in this. This recipe is very heart healthy and it’s naturally gluten free as well. Just make sure the oats you buy haven’t been processed in a factory that also processes gluten grains or there could be slight traces!
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups milk or non-dairy alternative
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with muffin papers unless using silicone
- In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients except oats and walnuts and mix well.
- Fold in oats and mix well
- Stir in walnuts
- Spoon evenly into prepared muffin pan
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before eating.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or store in freezer safe container for up to 5 months.
- You can top this with some vanilla Greek yogurt for an added treat!