Even though it’s the beginning of April we had an unseasonable warm few days. Today it almost reached 90 degrees and reminded me so much of summer. I had my doors and windows open and was outside as much as I could be with my dogs. Of course with the warm temperatures outside I always find myself craving plenty of fresh fruits, veggies and lighter meals.
I wanted to fix some pasta tonight, but wasn’t wanting anything heavy. And I didn’t have a hankering for any meat either. So I decided to create a Mediterranean inspired pasta with spinach and tomatoes, because I had some that needed to be used before they went bad!
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare, and is so delicious too! It’s perfect for a warm spring or summer day. And it not only makes a great meatless meal, but can also be used as a side dish along side the meat of your choice.
I used gluten free pasta for my meal, but you can certainly use any pasta you wish. You may notice that there is not salt added to this recipe. That was intentional. The black olives and feta cheese make it plenty salty without it!
This recipe is completely done on the stove top, so it’s perfect for those hot summer nights when you need a meal, but don’t want to turn the oven on!
- 2 servings of pasta
- 3 cups spinach, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half or quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- feta cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions
- Add olive oil to skillet
- Add the chopped onion and garlic
- Saute over medium heat until onions are tender
- Add the tomatoes and black olives
- 4 minutes before pasta is done cooking, add the spinach
- Allow the spinach to wilt.
- Drain pasta and add to skillet
- Mix well
- Add feta cheese and mix through