I really love the taste of stuffed peppers. For me, they are absolute comfort food. But I usually only make them during the cooler months of the year because I do what I can to leave my oven off during the summer months. But once in a while I still get a craving.
So I wanted to create a recipe that could be done in the slow cooker, so that they could slowly cook at day and infuse flavors even more. These turned out just right! Yum!!
I’ve actually given you two options with this dish. To make it gluten free, use the cooked rice. To make it grain free and low carb, then opt for the riced cauliflower instead. Both work equally as well, and the cauliflower adds some additional veggie power to the meal!
Some people have tummy troubles eating green peppers. I happen to be one of them! They give me reflux and have me burping up green peppers until the next day! TMI, I know. But so many people have this issue, that I wanted to bring it up. Often, those who don’t tolerate green peppers, do tolerate red, yellow or orange bell peppers instead. I now use red bell peppers in this recipe. And it’s really yummy!
- 4 green bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef, pasture raised
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice, soaked and cooked or riced cauliflower
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In skillet, brown ground beef with onions and garlic.
- Cut off tops of green peppers, remove seeds and clean out completely
- Drain beef mixture
- Add the rice, seasonings and half of the cheese to beef mixture
- Stuff peppers with mixture to just below the top of the peppers
- Fill in the rest of the peppers with the remaining cheese.
- Top the peppers with diced tomatoes.
- Place the peppers in the slow cooker and cover.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.