Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
Do you like spicy food? Well, this slow cooker red beans and rice will definitely put a little spicy in your day!
It’s almost Mardi Gras which makes me think of New Orleans and the amazing food that you can find down Louisiana way. One great spicy recipe is red beans and rice, and this slow cooker version is really simple to make. Original versions of this call for Andouille sausage which can be challenging to find, so I often just used smoked sausage in mine. This recipe serves 6 people, so there will be plenty for everyone! It will definitely freeze well.
It’s best to serve this over some hot rice! This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
Here is the full recipe!
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- 2 cans red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Andouille sausage or smoked sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper de-seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp creole seasoning use an organic brand if you can find it!
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5.