I found myself today with a need to come up with a quick and simple meal with ingredients that I had on hand. Last night I fixed a rotisserie chicken and had quite a bit of meat leftover. I wanted to go ahead and use it up. I also had some soaked and cooked brown rice that I had frozen and just decided to whip this together. Since the chicken and rice was already pre-cooked, this chicken rice soup only took 3 hours for the veggies to soften.
You can use uncooked chicken and uncooked, soaked brown rice (cook on low for 7-8 hours). Winner! I served this with some banana bread, topped with lots of butter. Can we say happy tummy?
If you are going to make this dish there is one brand of rice that I recommend over any other. I highly recommend that Lundberg brand of rice. There is big concern with heavy metal content in rice that is coming from overseas. This brand is from California and has been tested for heavy metals. It is pretty much the ONLY brand that is virtually free from heavy metals.
Here is the recipe for two!
Slow Cooker Chicken Rice Soup for Two
Classic chicken with rice soup that is quick to prepare and will warm you up!
- 2 chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 1/2 cup pre-cooked rice or cauliflower rice
- 1 lg carrot (sliced)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cups broth
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- Add all ingredients to a 2-4 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Here is the full recipe!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes-cooked
- 1 cup soaked and cooked brown rice
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 lg onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth, homemade preferred
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Place all ingredients into a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3 hours