This potato ham chowder is a great, simple slow cooker dish that you can prepare any day, but it also works well as a freezer meal. As a matter of fact, that is how I first used it. This chowder is very hardy and will definitely fill you up, but it is also full of flavor. Prep for this recipe is really fast, which is a plus in my book!
As a freezer meal, you will need to blanch the potatoes for at least 5 minutes or they have a tendency to turn black in the freezer….and black potatoes are not exactly the most appealing thing to eat for dinner! Do make sure after you boil the potatoes for five minutes that you remove them from the boiling water and submerge them in ice water to stop the cooking process! After that, this recipe freezes brilliantly!
I topped this chowder with some shredded cheese, some chives that I cut from my garden, and some bacon…..because you can never have enough bacon! You could also add some green onion or other cooked vegetables. This recipe is naturally gluten and grain-free for those who have either of these dietary restrictions.
Potato Ham Chowder for Two
- 2 cups potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 cup ham steak (cubed)
- 1/2 cup onion ( chopped)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Just throw all ingredients, except for heavy cream in the slow cooker.
- Cook for 6-7 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
- Add heavy cream and serve.