Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
This banana bread is an absolute family favorite. It is so loved by my family that not only did my Mom fix it to go with great fall and winter weeknight meals, but it was a must-have for holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter as well. It has been a part of my life since I was able to eat solid food. Of course, it has been cleaned up and changed using whole, real foods, but the taste hasn’t changed at all. And it’s even more heart-healthy because it uses extra virgin coconut oil which replaces shortening. You do also have the choice of using real butter in place of the coconut oil. I have used both, and it turned out really well each time! The original recipe called for wheat flour, but I changed it to use gluten-free flour and it worked really well!
This bread is moist and sweet and tastes beautifully of bananas! Feel free to add some nuts to kick it up a notch too! I have made this version gluten-free, but it does work well with whole wheat flour or even sprouted wheat. The original recipe called for regular flour.
One great thing about this recipe is that it freezes well. This recipe also makes a great gift to give to neighbors, co-workers, or anyone else who may enjoy a homemade goodie. Enjoy!
Hawaiian Banana Bread
- 1¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour sprouted whole wheat flour, or organic whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup sucanat turbinado sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup extra virgin coconut oil in solid form-chill if needed or butter
- 3 small ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 2 eggs well beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl, sift four, salt, sugar and baking soda.
- Blend in coconut oil with a pastry blender.
- Add mashed bananas and beaten eggs and fold in quickly. Don’t over mix. Batter should be lumpy.
- Spoon mixture into greased loaf pan and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Remove large air pockets by bringing pan down onto counter sharply a few times.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes. Bread will be done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Transfer bread to a wire rack to cool fully.
2 thoughts on “Hawaiian Banana Bread”
I baked it today and it’s yummy. Eat it with cream cheese
Yay! It is definitely one of my favorite quick bread recipes…especially during the holidays! I haven’t tried it with cream cheese….but now I have to!