It is cold and flu season again! And so it’s time to start making DIY remedies that can help you to get through a cold or flu more quickly. I pretty much always opt to skip store bought cold and flu products. And I make what I need. When you make things at home, there are far fewer ingredients used and you can easily avoid the factory made chemicals and use natural ingredients instead. That is why I make this essential oil vapor rub at the start of cold and flu season.
This vapor rub is far better for the body because it allows you to avoid a buildup of disease causing chemicals. This recipe uses three different essential oils…all of which help to ease coughs and congestion.
This combination is for use on children over 10 years of age through adult. For children age 2-10, you must substitute Pine, Spruce, Fir or Cypress (although you should avoid Ponderosa or Huron Pine).
- 6 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter or shea butter
- 2 tbsp beeswax, grated
- 25 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 25 drops peppermint essential oil
- 15 drops rosemary essential oil
- 4 oz container
- In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil, cocoa/shea butter and beeswax until fully melted.
- Turn off heat and allow to set for 5 minutes.
- Add the essential oils and mix fully.
- Pour into a 4 oz. container and allow to set fully before putting lid on.
- This rub is not for use on children under the age of 10. If you want to use this on children from age 2-10, then substitute pine, fir, spruce or cypress which are considered safe for children. Do not ingest.