Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
I recently bought some uncured ham and have been wanting to find some way to use it that was different. I thought about simply heating it up and fixing some homemade au gratin potatoes with it, but ultimately decided to cut up the ham into cubes and add it to the potatoes to create a casserole and thus Au Gratin Potatoes with Ham was born! It ended up being so tasty that I went back to eat a small helping of seconds!!! The potatoes are so much better than the boxed type from the store, and the recipe is really simple to create!
This recipe has become a fall and winter regular on my menu because it is just so good. I make it at least twice a month during the cooler months and it has become a real comfort food meal for me. It is both gluten and grain-free as long as you use arrowroot powder in place of any grain-based flour.
I have also included the recipe that has only 2 servings, making this little casserole accessible to singles and couples! Just scroll down for that recipe.
Here is the recipe with two servings
I really wanted to convert this recipe because it’s actually not so easy to find casserole recipes that serve 1-2 people, which is a shame. I know that I enjoy casseroles even though it is just me, and I couldn’t imagine not being able to fix them!
Classic comfort food at its finest…and all for one person!
- ½ cup potatoes (diced and cooked)
- ½ cup ham (diced)
- ½ tsp minced onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter
- Once melted, add heavy cream and arrowroot powder. Mix well
- Add cheese and allow the cheese to melt.
- In a small casserole dish, add the cooked potatoes, ham, and minced onion.
- Pour cheese sauce over top.
- Sprinkle on black pepper.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
If making this for two with heartier appetites, add 1/4 cup of diced potatoes!
Here is the larger recipe!
Au Gratin Potatoes With Ham
- 2 cups of potatoes diced and cooked
- 1½ cups uncured ham diced
- 2 tsp minced onion
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1½ cups raw cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cooked potatoes, cubed ham and minced onion in a 1 to 1½ quart casserole dish.
- In a saucepan melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add the arrowroot powder and mix until completely combined.
- Add the milk, stirring until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the cheese and pepper and mix until the cheese melts.
- Pour cheese mixture over the potato mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Sauce should be bubbly.