Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
Do you like pizza? These zucchini pizza boats have all of that great pizza flavor, without the grains! And they are perfect for those times at the end of the summer when you are still getting plenty of fresh zucchini from the garden.
So today was day two of my 30 Day Grain Free Challenge and it was a pretty good day….although I was pretty sleepy all day, even though I slept in! So I think that I may be going through a little grain withdrawal (yes, it does exist for some people). Of course, I may have been sleepy because it was gray and rainy here too! Either way, I went ahead and upped the amount of water that I drank today to help flush out toxins.
I have seen recipes for these pizza boats for a few years, and there are so many different variations of this theme that you can be creative with toppings. And I wanted to create a pizza version. It seemed simple enough. The prep time isn’t too long…only 20 minutes. This recipe for zucchini pizza boats makes a really simple and tasty grain-free dinner…or lunch!
Are you looking for another creative way to use zucchini? Try this zucchini pasta recipe!
Zucchini Pizza Boats
- 4 zucchini use organic
- 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded`
- Olive oil
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce organic or homemade
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out some of the insides of the zucchini.
- In medium skillet, brown the sausage
- In another skillet, add the olive oil, garlic, mushrooms and onion.
- Saute vegetables until the onion is translucent.
- Add the marinara/pizza sauce and browned sausage.
- Place the zucchini into large baking dish, cut side up.
- Fill each zucchini with sausage sauce mixture.
- Top with black olives and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!