Sometimes recipes that come from desperation can end up being brilliant…and we won’t talk about the other times! Luckily, this taco baked potato recipe was one of the brilliant ones!
I am really focused on simple, quick meals that are really tasty, but different than my usual rotation of meals. Unfortunately, those can get a little boring, which is not good. I am also working to eat far fewer grains (which is much better for my tummy), and still be able to enjoy some of the flavors that I really love.
This recipe was created because I just didn’t know what to fix for dinner. I knew that I was going to be getting in later than normal, so I wanted something quick. I was thinking about tacos, but didn’t want to eat the shells, or eat taco meat wrapped in lettuce. So, I decided to top a baked potato with the taco meat, which I have seen done at baked potato bars.
It was so tasty! I topped mine with taco meat, cheese, onion and salsa, but there is so much that you can do with these potatoes. Some other options are….green pepper, black olives, jalapenos, different types of cheeses, sour cream.
I loved how quick this dinner was to make…and you could make it even quicker by cooking additional taco meat and freezing it. Then just thaw it out for a few hours and heat it up! So simple!
- 2 baked potatoes
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1-2 tsp cumin or taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Onion, chopped
- Brown the ground beef and drain any grease.
- Add the taco seasoning or cumin and salt and mix well.
- Bake the potatoes in the microwave.
- Once baked, cut a cross on top of each potato
- Fluff some of the potato.
- Top with ground beef, cheese, onion and salsa and serve.
- Other options: Green pepper, sour cream, black olives, jalapenos, tomatoes