Do y’all like chicken corn chowder? I do! But I had a lot of trouble finding a recipe that wasn’t for less than 6 people! That is way too much food for one person. So I decided to create one!
Y’all know by now that I am all about the easy recipes. It’s all about cooking smarter, not harder!! And it is the key to eating healthier is to have a list of super simple recipes that taste like you’ve slaved behind a hot stove all day, when in reality you only had 5-10 minutes of prep time! Am I right? You will spend that much time having to fix a frozen dinner or driving to pick up takeout, so why not enjoy fresh, home-cooked meals?
I am always looking for easy recipes that taste fresh and incorporate lots of great vegetables…and did I mention easy? We could all use more good veggies to supply us with some natural nutrients. I am a lover of corn chowder, and not that overly processed canned type that you get from the supermarket shelf, but the kind that uses corn that is fresh, sweet and lovely to the taste buds.
Ooh, it made my mouth water just thinking about it!
This is a great recipe for late spring, summer and through early fall, when fresh sweet corn is available! If you want to make this a vegetarian meal, you can simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth. You can also replace the heavy cream with coconut milk if you are on a dairy free way of eating. Gotta love those options!
I love to pair this with a beautiful salad full of fresh vegetables and it makes for a delightful meal. I often grab some great fresh vegetables from the farmer’s market and create different fresh veggie salads to go with spring and summer meals like this. It’s guaranteed that I will be creating a lot more non-greens based vegetable salads that I will share with y’all! I can’t wait!
In case you were wondering, this recipe is naturally gluten free, which is a bonus!
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 russet potato or 2-3 small red potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- Add all ingredients except heavy cream and arrowroot powder into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- When cooking is nearing the end mix the heavy cream and arrowroot powder in a small bowl.
- Gradually add the arrowroot and milk mixture to the slow cooker.
- Stirring thoroughly.
- Mixture will thicken to a chowder consistency within approximately 5 minutes.