Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
Skillet Mexican Street Corn is a cob-free version of this trendy favorite!
Mexican Street Corn has been a trendy dish for a while now. Typically, it is corn on the cob that has been grilled and then slathered with a tangy sauce and covered with crumbled cheese. Can you say yum? It was a flavor explosion in my mouth. I definitely made quite a few yummy noises…and I apologize to no one!
Since my first, messy experience I have had a few more times in different forms. I’ve had the traditional corn on the cob version, and the nachos. Both absolutely delicious. But I must say that neither form of the dish are exactly neat to eat. And I want to make a version that I can serve when the company comes over that they won’t be wearing home with them!
This recipe can be done in a couple of different ways. You can use fresh ears of corn and cut the kernels off. Or you can use frozen corn. I highly recommend skipping the canned corn unless you simply have no other option.
Difference between fresh and frozen
There will be a longer cooking time if you choose to use fresh corn. But the taste is worth it. If you need to fix this quickly, then use frozen. That will let you make this dish in under 10 minutes! That’s perfect for when you need a quick side dish!
Now, I have to say that this recipe calls for cilantro. Some people think cilantro tastes like soap because of a genetic anomaly. I am one of them. But the amount of cilantro in this recipe mixed with the other flavors is not soapy at all!
This recipe does call for a Mexican cheese called Cotija cheese. It can be challenging to find in some areas. And it is often a little pricey. If you are on a budget, it’s simple to substitute feta cheese instead. I’ve used both and they are both equally as yummy!
This dish is naturally gluten-free…yay!
Skillet Mexican Street Corn
- 6-8 ears of corn 2 10 oz bags of frozen corn- 2 1/2 cups total.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese can sub in feta
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil.
- Cut off the corn kernels from each ear of corn. (look to notes for cooking frozen version).
- Add corn and onion to the heated skillet.
- Saute on medium heat for about 15 minutes until corn is heated through and beginning to get browned.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the mayonnaise, seasonings, lime juice and 1/2 of the cilantro.
- Once the corn is done, remove from heat.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture and mix well.
- Mix in cheese and cilantro.
- Serve warm
- If using frozen corn: Follow package directions to cook.
- Mix ingredients listed above in mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked corn to mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add cheese and cilantro and serve.
- This recipe will take less than 10 minutes!