Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
This ground beef au gratin takes the cheesiness of au gratin potatoes and makes it a meal!
This is another dish that was born out of necessity. I had all of the ingredients to make Au gratin potatoes with ham….except the ham and needed an easy and tasty dinner idea that I could do with ingredients that I had on hand. Well, I have plenty of grass-fed ground beef in the freezer, so I figured…”why not?”
It was pretty easy to figure out that it wasn’t going to taste yucky. And it made a nice cheesy casserole that was nice and filling. This is definitely a recipe that I will add to our fall and winter recipe rotation!
Ground Beef Au Gratin
Now the classic Au Gratin potato recipe has some ground beef added for a complete meal!
- 1 lb ground beef, grass fed
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tsp minced onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef.
- Add the potatoes and cauliflower to a large saucepan filled with water and boil until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and add to a casserole dish
- Top potatoes with minced onion.
- Spoon browned ground beef over top of the potatoes.
- In the saucepan used for the potatoes, add butter and melt over medium low heat.
- Once melted, add arrowroot powder and mix well.
- Cook butter mixture for about 5 minutes to allow it to thickened.
- Add the milk or heavy cream and mix well.
- Add the cheese a bit at a time, stir and allow it to melt fully.
- Pour mixture over potato and ground beef mixture.
- Place casserole dish into the oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes.