Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
I have a regular recipe using regular or sprouted flour for apple crisp, which I absolutely love! I grew up eating the regular recipe each fall and winter and it is completely comforting food for me! My Mom made it regularly during the cool months and so I have a strong emotional connection to this recipe. I always know when it’s officially autumn when it is cool enough outside to make a batch of apple crisp. And it makes my house smell so amazing! But I wanted to create a grain-free apple crisp as well.
I have to avoid grains for a while while I am healing my gut (eating grains and regular sugar seems to make the symptoms much worse). So, for the next couple of months, I will be avoiding grains. But I wanted to have some great apple crisp since my favorite seasonal apples are available again. I’m very partial to MacIntosh apples. They smell like fall to me, and taste so sweet!
I also used coconut sugar in this recipe. Coconut sugar is low on the glycemic index and is diabetic friendly (this doesn’t seem to aggravate my symptoms).
So I whipped up this little grain-free apple crisp recipe and it works really well. It’s great topped with some freshly made whipped cream…..mmmmm!
Grain Free Apple Crisp
- 4-5 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp water
- butter to grease baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place prepared apples into a buttered 8×8 baking dish
- Sprinkle on 2 tbsp water and cinnamon (according to your preference)
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, coconut sugar and coconut flour with a pastry blender.
- Pour on top of apples and press gently.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a bit.
- Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and serve warm!