Notice: I’m an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
I absolutely adore this gluten-free baked macaroni and cheese. I mean who doesn’t love a good batch of homemade mac and cheese? It’s right up there with Au Gratin potatoes in my book! Unfortunately, because it’s just me, I don’t get to make it as often as I like. But this Thanksgiving, my Mom asked me if I would bring some macaroni and cheese for our Thanksgiving feast. I was delighted to have the opportunity to make my baked macaroni and cheese to share with the family!
This was made this using gluten-free brown rice noodles
(I use this brand and really like it). No one in the family could even tell that it was gluten-free! Most baked macaroni and cheese recipes also usually call for some type of flour to thicken the cheese sauce. I used arrowroot powder as a thickener in order to keep this dish gluten-free! This is one of the brands of organic arrowroot powder that I use regularly!
This gluten-free baked macaroni and cheese is really yummy and was a huge hit at our holiday gathering….but this is one dish that is perfect anytime! You can make this a complete meal by adding some diced uncured ham!
Gluten Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups macaroni or Penne pasta gluten free, preferred
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the pasta so that it is still firm and not soft (it will finish cooking in the oven)
- Drain pasta and place in buttered baking dish.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter on medium high heat
- Add arrowroot powder and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the milk, sea salt, black pepper. dry mustard and minced onion.
- Bring that mixture to boiling and allow to thicken, stirring frequently.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of shredded cheese to the thickened milk mixture.
- Stir the mixture until the cheese has fully melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta in the 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the pasta.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the macaroni and cheese to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.