Do you have a stinky garbage disposal? It is hard to feel wonderfully luscious when you keep smelling something foul coming from your kitchen! But inevitably it happens to all of us at some point. This recipe uses all natural ingredients that you may have on hand to help and de-stink your kitchen!
Have you ever had to try to figure out how to freshen a stinky garbage disposal? There is nothing worse then having a disposal that is spewing the smell of rotting food throughout your kitchen and your house. And there is no need to turn to harsh chemicals to clear out the smell…in fact, using chemicals can actually cause damage to your disposal unit and so to keep your disposal working properly, using natural ingredients is a better bet!
Skip the chemicals
Many store bought disposal fresheners contain chemicals that can impact your health negatively, and are best to be avoided completely. All you need are a few, inexpensive ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen, and in just a few minutes, you can be on your way to having a stink free kitchen sink! Won’t it feel wonderful to know that you are able to fix this problem with ingredients that you know are safe for you to use? It does for me!
Do be sure to run your garbage disposal before adding the ingredients so that you get rid of any rotting food that may be in there, contributing to the smell!
It is best to do this once every few weeks to help keep your disposal fresh and clean. That will keep you from dealing with the unexpected smell that can just appear unexpectedly!
Sometimes I use lime rinds instead of lemon. They work really well too, and impart a little different scent than the lemon. But if I need limes for a recipe, I will plan to use the rinds to freshen the disposal! It’s a great way to reduce waste!
To clean your stinky garbage disposal, you will need:
- 2-3 cups of ice
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- Lemon rinds from 2 lemons (make sure all of the seeds are gone)
- Pour the ice into the disposal
- Pour in the vinegar
- Turn on the cold water
- Run the disposal for approximately 10 seconds (this should help to loosen any built up gunk. DO NOT USE HOT WATER....this will actually melt any fats or foods and the resulting sludge will coat the grinding mechanism and prevent your disposal from running well.
- Turn off water.
- Add the de-seeded lemon rinds to the disposal.
- Turn on the warm water
- Run the disposal for 5-10 seconds.
- To help keep your disposal fresh, you should repeat this every two to three weeks for best benefit.