Breakfast can be tricky when you’re single. So I’m working on finding new ideas for breakfast, or even for quick snacks on the run. I love baked oatmeal a lot, but most recipes are too large for one person. Baking these in individual portions seemed like a better option for me. I have some quick and easy breakfasts that are portable now.
This recipe actually makes 12 cups, but they freeze very well and so I have enough for many breakfasts or snacks, which makes life even easier for me! I’m personally working on cutting down on the amount of sugar I consume daily, so I don’t use any refined sugar in this recipe. I use maple syrup, but the amount called for equals just a little over a teaspoon full per oatmeal cup. It adds just a little sweetness with the banana, which is good. I don’t have a taste for things that are too sweet any more!
I personally use unsweetened almond milk in this recipe and it works very well! Of course, you can use the milk or non-dairy version of your choice. Remember to use unsweetened or you will be getting added sugar!
I actually use a silicone 12 cup muffin pan and love it! I don’t have to use muffin papers or grease the pan anymore. It’s super easy to use and clean!
I love the banana and walnut combination! It tastes a lot like banana bread. I like this recipe so much and it’s so convenient, that I want to find more flavor combinations to try!
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups milk or non-dairy alternative
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with muffin papers unless using silicone
- In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients except oats and walnuts and mix well.
- Fold in oats and mix well
- Stir in walnuts
- Spoon evenly into prepared muffin pan
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before eating.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or store in freezer safe container for up to 5 months.