Have you ever had Southwestern Chicken Corn Chowder? Once I created this recipe is became a fast favorite. And family, friends both in my life and online love how simple and tasty this soup is. It is so yummy, that it is one of the few soups that I will fix during the hot days of summer. It’s just that good!
Of course, I’m also all about the slow cooker! I just love it because it allows me to fix slow cooker recipes that are super simple. And I’m just a simple girl! This recipe couldn’t be any easier! You literally throw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker (except two). Then turn that bugger on and walk away! That means that this recipe works well for the “I really don’t like to cook” crowd. So now you don’t have any excuses to not fix a yummy, home cooked meal!
Not only is this a simple slow cooker meal, but it is a freezer meal as well…which means that you can prepare this in advance, freeze it and throw it into your slow cooker later in the month! It is wonderful reheated as well….yum!
You can make this with pre-cooked chicken (I used leftover rotisserie chicken that I had made the night before for dinner), or raw boneless chicken breast or thighs (which tend to be a little less expensive than the breasts). Both will work equally as well.
This soup is not overly spicy, but feel free to add some jalapeno peppers or a little cayenne pepper if you like the heat!
Pair this with some homemade gluten free cornbread, a nice salad or some fruit, and yum!
This recipe is naturally gluten free, but you can make it grain free by leaving out the corn…so many options! Simple as that!!
- 1 lb chicken breasts or thighs, boneless
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, organic (leave out for grain free)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 2 cups homemade salsa or 16 oz jar, organic
- 1 can diced tomatoes, organic, no salt added
- 1 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a slow cooker add all ingredients except, heavy cream and cheese.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours
- At end of cooking add heavy cream and cheddar cheese.