I hear so often that one of the main reasons people continue to eat packaged, processed and fast food is that it is quick, convenient and doesn’t take a lot of time to fix. But there are plenty of meals that are quick and simple to make right at home…meals that are much healthier and nourishing to your body.
This week’s featured slow cooker recipe is stuffed pepper soup. This meal is very hearty and simple to make. It is great topped with some raw shredded cheddar cheese and paired with some homemade cornbread or a nice salad full of fresh veggies. You can also substitute fresh pastured ground sausage for the ground beef if you choose!
- 1 lb ground beef, grass fed, browned
- 1 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped into big chunks
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice, soaked (but not cooked)
- 1 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3-4 cups beef broth, homemade preferred
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (to top finished soup)
- Brown the ground beef until no pink remains.
- Drain ground beef.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4.
*Feel free to add other veggies to this. Some additions that work well are 1 cup fresh or frozen organic corn, diced carrot, celery.
*We also topped this with lots of raw cheddar and it was really yummy!! Leftovers were fantastic too!
*Use 3 cups of broth is you want a more dense texture, and 4 if you want more of an actual soup.
Copyright 2013 Simple Clean Living