After two weeks away, I have been so excited to bring you some new slow cooker recipes! My slow cooker has really been my best buddy over the busy couple of weeks that I’ve had! I really have no idea what kind of junk we would’ve ended up eating if I didn’t have some super quick and easy slow cooker meals to fix!
This recipe was really a food experiment. I looked at what I had in the freezer and the fridge (organic diced tomatoes, heavy cream, veggies and chicken). I had no idea if this recipe would work or not, but was very pleasantly surprised when it tasted really yummy! My husband was happy with it too!
I love the versatility of this recipe for different dietary concerns. You can serve this over whole wheat pasta, brown rice pasta (gluten free) or fresh zucchini pasta (grain free).
For those who are dairy free, you can use coconut milk or cream and omit the Parmesan cheese!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast or thighs-pasture raised preferred
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (or approx 1½ cups freshly diced)
- I cup heavy cream or coconut milk (dairy free)
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp unrefined sea salt (can add more to taste)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (omit for dairy free)
- Spray crock with olive oil
- Add chicken, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, onions and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4 hours.
- One hour before finished cooking, add the cream and Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Serve over whole wheat, brown rice (gluten free) or fresh zucchini pasta (grain free)