I was really craving Sloppy Joes today and so decided to make some….whole food style!
I got a recipe that my brother and sister in law have been using for a while and really love. And I tweaked it so that it is as whole food as you can get. This has a little bit sweeter sauce. But you can cut down on the sweetener if you choose (I actually prefer a little sweeter sauce).
This is great topping some sprouted buns or dipped in tortilla chips (a personal favorite way of mine to eat sloppy joes!) I use homemade ketchup for this recipe and it works really well, but any organic ketchup is just fine too.
This recipe is naturally gluten free, and if you choose a gluten free bun (or tortilla chips) it can stay that way! Keep it grain free by serving it in a lettuce wrap!
- 1 pound ground beef, grass fed preferred
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp Sucanat, turbinado sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 tsp mustard powder or prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Brown ground beef, garlic, onion and green pepper in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once beef is browned, remove from heat and drain any excess fluid.
- Add water, sugar, mustard, ketchup and salt and mix well.
- Return to stove top and allow to simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. If sauce becomes too thick, add an additional 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup of water to thin.