Who doesn’t love sloppy joes? They make a perfect casual meal, or can be a great simple meal for family gatherings, or when you have a group get together. But most recipes for sloppy joes really can feed a family…or small army!
I really love this smaller version of the Sloppy Joes recipe. It makes sloppy joes more accessible for singles or couples, without having to make a large batch. It makes me so happy!
I actually got this recipe from my brother and my sister-in-law. Their version did not include the green pepper, because my sister-in-law is allergic to peppers. I converted it and made it a little healthier.
I don’t really eat buns anymore, but you can! Find a good sprouted or gluten free bun. Sometimes I will eat this in a lettuce leaf….or my guilty pleasure is to dip organic corn tortilla chips into it….yum!!! It is perfect warmed up as leftovers too!
Without a bun, this recipe is both gluten and grain free. Find the option that works best for you!
- 1 pound ground beef, grass fed preferred
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp Sucanat, turbinado sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 tsp mustard powder or prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Brown ground beef, garlic, onion and green pepper in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once beef is browned, remove from heat and drain any excess fluid.
- Add water, sugar, mustard, ketchup and salt and mix well.
- Return to stove top and allow to simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. If sauce becomes too thick, add an additional 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup of water to thin.