This is a great, simple slow cooker dish that you can prepare any day, but it also works well as a freezer meal. As a matter of fact, that is how I first used it. This chowder is very hardy and will definitely fill you up, but it is also full of flavor.
As a freezer meal, you will need to blanch the potatoes for at least 5 minutes or they have a tendency to turn black in the freezer….and black potatoes are not exactly the most appealing thing to eat for dinner! Do make sure after you boil the potatoes for five minutes that you remove them from the boiling water and submerge them in ice water to stop the cooking process!
I topped this chowder with some shredded cheese, some chives that I cut from my garden and some bacon…..because you can never have enough bacon! You could also add some green onion or other cooked vegetables.
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cubed ham steak
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Blanch the potatoes for 5 minutes and then move to a large bowl of ice water for 1 minute to stop coking.
- In a gallon size freezer bag add the potatoes, ham, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Attach instructions to add broth and heavy cream and length of time for cooking...6-7 hours on low.
- Place flat in freezer.