Some recipes just feel like home. This meatloaf recipe does for me. My mother made it regularly as I was growing up. And although I didn’t appreciate it so much when I was a child, I love it now. It is classic comfort food for me. And it reminds me of my mom’s love.
She cooked homemade meals for our family every night. It was rare for us to go out for dinner. I really appreciate that she cared enough to do that for us. We definitely need to get back to that today, especially for all those who are struggling with health issues!
When I found myself single again, I wanted to make sure that I could still enjoy favorite foods like this one. It works perfectly with mini loaf pans and allows me to have leftovers too! This freezes well, so if you don’t want to eat this for lunch or dinner the next day, like I do, you can freeze it!
It is naturally gluten free! I love to pair this with some fresh, homemade mashed potatoes or cauliflower and veggies! Yum!
- ½ lb. ground beef
- ¼ cup ground oatmeal or breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp turbinado sugar, sucanat or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the ground oatmeal or breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and allow the oats to soak for a couple of minutes.
- Add the ground beef, egg, onion, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Add to a 5x3 loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, ketchup and ground mustard and mix thoroughly.
- Spread evenly over top of meat mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.