It is fall here in SC and the weather is finally starting to cool down. Summer did not want to let go! I love every season, but I do love it when the weather starts getting cooler. Then I can start changing from the foods I ate during the summer to heartier and warmer foods. I LOVE soups and stews. I’m really funny about not wanting to eat them during the summer months. For me, they are so warming that when it’s 95 degrees outside. I don’t want warming food then! But now I can start making recipes like this classic chicken noodle soup!
Usually, sometime in September, I start getting the urge to start making some of my favorite soup recipes!
So, this week I got a new Instant Pot Duo Mini. I have really wanted an Instant Pot for a long time, but the reality is that a 6 or 8 quart pressure cooker is just way to big for just one person! But the Instant Pot Duo Mini is only three quarts and it has the same 7-in-1 functions as the larger DUO! Of course, it was a little less expensive as well, which made me happy!
This chicken noodle soup is not only a classic, but pure comfort food as well! It’s the perfect thing to fix on a cold, rainy day, but if you use bone broth in the recipe then it is perfect for when you are sick and need a boost.
Quick Prep Time
This soup is really quick and easy to put together. It only took between 10 and 15 minutes to chop veggies and get everything into the Instant Pot! Then just start it and in less than 30 minutes from start to finish, you have some amazing soup!
Remember that it takes a little longer with this chicken noodle soup recipe because it does not factor in the time for the Instant Pot to pressurize or for it to naturally release the pressure at the end of cooking. It took about 10 minutes for it to pressurize and about 20 for all of the steam to release….but it’s so worth the wait!
If you are eating grain free, you can substitute in some zucchini noodles instead! I need a balance of carbs, protein and fat and if I’ve eaten more carbs earlier in the day, and I need to lower the amount for dinner, I will use zoodles instead of gluten free noodles! Still every bit as yummy!
If using gluten free noodles, please be aware that they do have a tendency to dissolve when sitting in liquid for long periods of time. They will become more mushy than wheat based noodles. And they may completely dissolve if there are leftovers!
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken (breast or thigh)
- 2 1/2 cups bone broth or homemade broth
- 1/2 cup carrots (diced)
- 1/4 cup celery (diced)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder (or 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped)
- ½ tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp coconut aminos (or organic soy sauce)
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2/3 cup dry rice pasta (can use regular wheat pasta or zoodles (zucchini noodles) if you are grain free!)
- Turn on Instant Pot and hit the Saute button.
- Add butter and vegetables and saute until the onions are soft and translucent (about 5 minutes)
- Hit cancel button
- Add broth, cubed chicken, seasonings and rice noodles.
- Close and secure lid and hit the soup button.
- Using + and - buttons scroll down until the timer is at 7 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to release naturally. Carefully open the lid and enjoy!