I absolutely hate store bought toilet bowl cleaner! Every time I used one, I could just smell the overwhelming smell of toxic fumes. It got to the point that using toilet bowl cleaner actually made me feel ill. I didn’t want to keep feeling nauseated in my own home for hours after cleaning! So that led me to looking for a natural solution that not only got my toilet cleaned, but also killed bacteria, viruses and parasites.
I have tested a bunch of different recipes and this is what I finally came up with that has worked for me. Adding grapefruit seed extract really adds the bacteria, virus and parasite killing power to this mix! The essential oils make it smell much better in the bathroom, without toxic, chemical filled fragrances.
- ¾ cup baking soda
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp castille soap
- 5 drops of tea tree (lemon, orange, clove, lime, bergamot or cinnamon essential oil)
- 5 drops of grapefruit seed extract
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Pour into squeeze bottle and use!
- I actually put this mixture in a squeeze bottle so that I can get it underneath the rim of the toilet. You can just pour it into the bowl, but an inexpensive squeeze bottle makes it much easier.